How you can have a Sustainable Home in Australia? – ABM Homes
Table of Contents
Sustainable home design is a buzzword in Australian real estate nowadays. This increasing trend towards homes that are “greener” has made concepts like solar energy, energy efficiency and passive heating bigger parts of the home-building conversation.
Sustainability practices can be built into the foundations of the house, and there can also be modifications and additions to an existing residence (knockdown and rebuild).
On top of that, every family is different when it comes to what they can implement.
We’ve discussed the most common and cost-effective ways you can have your own sustainable home:
1. Go solar: It has become easier than ever to utilize the power of solar energy. Across various parts of Australia, an increasing number of families are opting to power their homes with solar panels. Although more expensive initially, they really do pay off in the end, and also help reduce the need for burning more fossil fuels.
They are very easy to install, and maintain. As solar panels continue to become more efficient, solar can help you make more savings.
2. Energy efficient lighting: Bulb technology in recent years has grown by leaps and bounds. Newer bulbs are made using more sustainable materials and use significantly less energy.
With smart options also increasingly available, there has never been a better time to switch to smart lighting. Most options come with an app, so it’s easy to set up and manage
3. Insulation: There are a lot of materials you can choose to insulate your house. Insulation helps manage your home’s temperature by passively making it warmer in the winters and keeping it cool in the summers.
You can opt for eco-friendly materials like cork. There are also plenty of low toxic options. Make sure you discuss this with your builder as a part of the process.
4. Double-glazed windows: This was a less popular option in the past. However, double-glazed windows are becoming the norm in Australian homes.
There are also triple glazed options which may be suitable for colder climates. The best thing about glazing your windows is that it can be done with existing construction as well as new builds.
5. Plant-wisely: Clean air is a privilege one should not take lightly. Plants like Boston Ferns, Bamboo Palms and Snake Plants are very efficient and beautiful looking air purifiers
There are also several types of oxygen boosting plants like Spider Plants, and Areca Palm. These are widely available and suitable to grow in most parts of Australia.
How can I build a more sustainable home?The primary stumbling block when it comes to making your home sustainable is usually budget. Some sustainable options like installing solar or filling out insulation material can often cost a lot initially.In the long run however, such methods save way more, giving you better saving each year.On the other hand, planting a kitchen garden or composting won’t burn a hole in your pocket, and it’s quite a lot of fun. Gardening can be a very fun and engaging family activity, as it promotes cooperation and connection with nature.
Live sustainably with ABM HomesABM Homes has finished multiple projects with sustainable building practices. Our latest project, The Arise(in Whitlam Display Village), is certified with a 7-star energy rating and showcases several other green concepts.Building activity is poised to get even more common, and cost-efficient, in the coming years. Choosing the right builder can often be tricky, so make sure you do your own research, and ask questions.If you want us to build you a home in Canberra or any other location in the ACT, we’d love to help. You can get in touch with our experts by contacting us on any one of our multiple channels.
How do I go ahead with buying land?
Buying a plot of land can be very financially rewarding as well as an exciting experience. Make sure you do a lot of research.
ABM Homes is a leader in construction in Canberra today. With all our experience we know a thing or two about how to make land buying a stress-free experience.
Not only do we provide house and land packages, but we can also help in sourcing your own plot. You can always reach out to our team of experts by sending an email or giving us a call. We’d love to help.
Plan Your Future with ABM Homes Today!
ABM Homes is one of the most innovative and experienced home builders in the ACT region, sculpting your dreams to reality.